Product Care

Looking after your jewellery is very important. We offer a cleaning service in house but theres some things you can do at home or consider when wearing your precious pieces.

General Care

  • Be considerate of your jewellery and its environment. It is advised you put your jewellery on last. It is not recommended to wear perfume when wearing jewellery but if you choose to always apply perfume first. 
  • Do not wear your jewellery when cleaning and take jewellery off when washing and showering as soaps and cleaning chemicals can affect your jewellery and alter its outer appearance.
  • It is best to keep your jewellery in a box or pouch when not worn this will help reduce the tarnishing process.
  • Matt finishes will shine up over time and will be excelled by using a polishing cloth.

Sterling Silver

  • All our silver is sterling silver. Sterling silver is made up of 92.5% pure silver and 7.5% of other alloys. Silver is a soft metal and will show surface bruising over time and will bend on impact.
  • Silver does tarnish and requires cleaning from time to time. We are happy to clean any pieces for you at a small charge but you may like to invest in a silver polishing cloth which you can use yourself at home.  Simply give your piece a good rub and you will see the shine reappear. 
  • You may find your piece is gold plated. This means a layer of gold has been added to the surface of the silver. This will wear off over time so to minimise this avoid contact with hard surface and harsh chemicals that will rub against the surface. Store the gold plated pieces separately from your other pieces.  We can offer to re-plate your pieces at a small additional cost subject to each piece.
  • Silver jewellery is recognised with the hallmark which is stamped 925.

Gemstones

  • Gemstones can sometimes change colour over time after being exposed to direct sunlight and heat,
  • Always try and store your pieces with gemstones away from light and heat sources
  • Be considerate of your jewellery when wearing pieces that include soft stones like pearls, opals etc.  They are lower on the hardness scale and will fracture on impact. Pearls in particular are porous so don't wear perfume or wash when wearing them.
  • Diamonds and sapphires are the hardest of gemstones but can fracture or scratch on impact especially against another diamond  so care when worn is advised. They are a popular and advised choice when for engagement rings because of their hardness.
  • Diamonds can glow fluorescent in UV light as they contain tiny particles so do not panic if you are out and your diamond is glowing.   
  • Diamonds attract grease so will dull if not cleaned.  
  • You can gently rub your gemstones with a small brush and water or acquire a gemstone polishing cloth. 

Platinum and Palladium

  • These two metals have very similar features. The biggest difference is Platinum is rarer than Gold and much more expensive.
  • They are both hypoallergenic metals and suitable for those that have highly sensitive skin. 
  • They can both scratch but the metal will only be displaced it doesn't wear away like silver or gold. 
  • They both usually show a hallmark of 950 but with additional information of the metal type. 

Gold

  • Gold does not tarnish although the shine can dull. White gold is commonly rhodium plated to give it a bright white finish.
  • White gold does require added maintenance as the rhodium plating will wear over time. It is expected to need re-plated every 1-2 years if you look after your jewellery well. Constant exposure to soaps and chemicals will mean the plating will wear off quicker.  
  • We are happy to clean any pieces for you at a small charge but you may like to invest in a gold polishing cloth which you can use yourself at home.  Simply give your piece a good rub and you will see the shine reappear. If your piece is white gold you might be better investing in a gold dip solution which will clean the surface without being abrasive. Ensure you give your jewellery a good rinse after use and follow the instructions.
  • You can get 9ct, 14ct, 18ct, 22ct and 24ct Gold. We have only listed the two carats we work with and their qualities. We have also listed how you can recognise what carat your gold jewellery is.

9ct Gold

  • You can get three colours of 9ct gold: yellow, white and red. Please note Mustard & Peaches does not work in 9ct red gold.  
  • 9ct gold is made up of 37.5% of gold and the other 62.5% is other alloys including copper and silver which are all varying levels to create the three colours. 
  • Some people find that they can react to 9ct gold because of the higher copper content so if you have experienced allergic reactions to metals before 9ct gold might not be suitable for you. 
  • 9ct jewellery is recognised with the hallmark which is stamped 375. 

18ct Gold

  • You can get four colours of 18ct including yellow, white, red. 
  • 18ct gold is made up of 75% of gold and the other 25% alloys is usually copper, palladium, nickle etc. 
  • 18ct is most common for engagement and wedding bands and recommended because of its rich colours and hardwearing qualities.
  • 18ct jewellery is recognised with the hallmark which is stamped 750
┬ęcopyright 2018 Mairi Burrow. All rights reserved
contemporary goldsmith based in Northern Ireland creating minimalist diamond jewellery